Tuesday 8 October 2013

Up to mischief

Lately, my days are filled with a juggling act. Time spent with adorable wee ones at my daycare and then off to meetings with potential clients and firming up deals for things to come in the world of media. This past Thursday, I was happy to slow down a bit, get dressed up and hit the town to take in a play at the 1000 Islands Playhouse in Gananoque, On.

I had recently met Andrew Geekie, Outreach Officer at the Playhouse, while attending the annual Gananoque and Brockville Chamber networking event. Andrew discussed the current production of "No Great Mischief" and said it is a must-see.

Our family had recently toured the 1000 Islands Playhouse during Open Doors Gananoque, and I was impressed by the history of the theatre and the stunning ambiance provided by the balconies, wooden beams and the majestic St.Lawrence River view. When Nick and I returned for the production that evening and the theatre was lit up with the starry sky in the backdrop, romance filled the air and it was the perfect date-night.


The play began with a spotlight on the main actor, who began to tell the story of his life - one filled with great family love and loss. The play unfolds around the main character, Alexander MacDonald and his regular travels to visit his older dependent brother, living in Toronto. Together, they re-live stories of the past tragedies and fond memories of their childhood and upbringing. The play is filled with great highs and lows, accompanied by traditional Scottish music sang by the very talented cast.





Throughout the production, I found myself invested in the characters and really relating their story. The music was an important part, as it accompanied the storyline perfectly and brought out the emotions being portrayed by the characters. I was impressed by the talent, creative team and actors alike, that it took to put together this production. Adapted from the novel by Alister MacLeod - No Great Mischief was emotional and raw, a real local masterpiece



I can tell you that I will be returning to the playhouse in the not so distant future to take in another show. There is something so romantic and exciting about live theatre and I urge everyone to visit the 1000 Islands Playhouse and experience this local treasure for yourself .

No comments:

Post a Comment