Saturday 12 November 2011

Brockville Remembers

The streets are filled with Brockville citizens, young and old. All gathered at the Cenotaph to remember and show respect to those who fought and gave their lives, to better ours. It's quiet, not the usual buzz that the downtown core usually sees on a late Friday morning. Everyone is focused on the service and the veteran's that continue to stand tall.

As I watch the men and women in uniform, I am reminded of my daily blessings and how lucky I feel to be Canadian. I didn't grow up with a strong influence of Military or what it was like to have family who fought to keep us safe, but Remembrance Day has always been very close to my heart. I find it is a time of reflection, in an otherwise very busy life. With two children under the age of three, quiet only comes once bedtime has set upon us and then there are dishes and laundry to do, and other chores to finish off the day.

On this day, I think of not only the soldiers, but their families as well. It must have been difficult to have been away from their spouses and children. Some of the soldiers were still children themselves, lying about thier age so they could go off and protect their loved ones. My spouse's Grandfather did just that. He was around the age of 17 when he enlisted. At that age most of us were enjoying our last year of high school or deciding what exciting adventures were next, not hugging our loved ones for what could be the last time.



I'm humbled by the sacrafices these men, women and families have made, and continue to make in today's service. On this day, I hold my children a little tighter, I kiss my spouse a little longer and I am forever grateful for the freedoms we have.

Thank you Brockville for this wonderful service, it was nice to see so many citizens pay their respects. Lest we forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment