Monday 3 March 2014

Our own piece of Sochi pride


 
Fresh off the heels of the 2014 Olympic Games, Canadian patriotism is at an all-time high. Coming in third place overall (and beating our competitive American friends) is a huge success for our nation. We have much to be proud of and I hope the momentum continues well beyond the games.

Here at home, I felt similar pride when attending the recent grand opening of phase two of the Rotary splash pad and ice rink. There have been many volunteers pouring countless hours into this project over the last few years and having a young family, I can’t thank them enough for their hard work so my children and I can enjoy this beautiful space. During the summer months, we spend a great deal of time at the splash pad, along with many other local families. It’s a great way to beat the heat and encourage outdoor activity. I was sad when the cooler weather set in and the splash pad shut down for the season, but that didn’t last long, as talks of synthetic ice and phase two of the project started.

Before long, the splash pad was cleared and the new skating surface was laid down for all to enjoy. With the winter we have been enduring (never-ending!), it has taken a lot of time and volunteer work to keep the surface cleared off.  When I heard of the grand opening, I was excited to attend and show my thanks to all involved. I wasn't the only one! A ton of local VIPs also attended, including Senator Bob Runicman, our MP Gord Brown, MPP Steve Clark, Brockville Mayor Dave Henderson, newly appointed Brockville Police Chief Scott Fraser and many councillors. The parking lot was packed and there were many families enjoying hot dogs, coffee and hot chocolate – all donated by our local Tim Horton’s. To top it all off, our politicians and other sport enthusiasts engaged in a friendly game of shinny for everyone’s entertainment.

I felt a lot of community pride that day and happy to have brought my family out to support such a great initiative. We really do have a great city and this initiative and its kick-off was a great reminder of all that we have to offer.  Great job Brockville! 

No comments:

Post a Comment