Tuesday 24 July 2012

Pride and pirates- what's not to love?

Saturday morning was Nick's day to sleep in. Without fail, my three year old was up at 7:00 a.m. "Momma, I'm awake- it's time to go downstairs" she yelled as loud as humanly possible. I stretched and crossed my fingers that she would grab a book and snuggle back in bed for even five more minutes. Then, came the " I have to go pee!!!!" so, out of bed I jumped and the day began.

We had yogurt and fresh fruit for breakfast, followed by cartoons of course. We let daddy sleep until 9:00 a.m. and then all started to get ready for the day. I make it sound like Nick is being spoiled, don't I? I forgot to mention that I had a pedicure at my favourite spa in Brockville, Aquala, booked and he would be taking over parent duties for an hour or so. While I was getting pretty toes, the Annual PRIDE Parade had started on King Street. There was a great turnout and a positive vibe all around. I saw some familiar faces in the parade, such as our local NDP candidate, Matthew Gabriel showing his support to people in our community. Although not a political event, I wanted to touch base so I investigated where some of the other local party reps were. I reached out to our other local politicians and found out that they had prior engagements and regrettably couldn't be there. I was happy my family could attend and show our support of equality for all. Congratulations on another job well done Brockville!



We then headed to my parents house where they were hosting their annual friends and family BBQ. My sister was in charge of setting up the kiddie pool and, as always took her duties very seriously. Ensuring the temperature was just right for all those wee tots, it turned out to be a huge success. With everyone bringing their favourite dish, my parents slow roasting both beef and pork on a spit, plus beverages galore, it was a delicious and fun event.

When Sunday came, we were ready to have a quiet day at home. Some of my friends were headed to Ottawa to take in a baseball game and had asked that we keep their two year old for the afternoon. As she is absolutely adorable (and well behaved as all children are when their parents are not around!) we jumped at the chance. Gananoque was holding a waterfront Pirate Festival, so we packed up the car and headed out. When we arrived, it was packed. Bouncy castles, inflatable pirates, fortune tellers and music on the main stage- it was a great event for the whole family. Nearby was the splash pad and beach. I had never been to that part of Gananoque before, and truly enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere. We will be back to take the kids to play in the water.







I hope everyone enjoyed their weekend and got out to support our local events! I love our community!

No comments:

Post a Comment